We’re not so different, you and I.
Better to be bewildering, than wilting.
More apropos to be anything less than appropriate,
than forgotten for being familiar.
Come to know me and you will come to know
the corners of yourself long forgotten,
abandoned for in exchange for the status quo.
1. Sing in the car. Laugh when you realize that the guy in the car next to you is watching. Smile as he turns on his radio to sing along too.
2. Stay up too late. Fill your evening with a fury of sounds and thoughts and people before heading home. Let the afterglow of exhaustion pull you into sleep.
3. Write someone a letter. On real paper. Doodle in the margins and send it off to them. Realize that written correspondence is a rare joy.
4. Travel. Doesn’t need to be far. Get in the car and drive for 30 minutes in a direction you haven’t wandered before. Get out, explore what’s there, return when you wish.
5. Forgive someone. The person who spilled coffee on you this morning or the person that “ruined your life.” This will be the most important thing you will do.
6. Try your hand at something you never thought you’d be good at. Juggling, unicycling, baking, parasailing – pick one and enjoy the thrill of something random.
7. Look up. At the tops of buildings, birds, stars. Beam when you see a plane skywrite a message of love.
8. Eat food that makes you stop in your tracks and go “mmm.” Yes, like in the commercials. Maybe that’s homemade pesto, maybe it’s Burrata cheese. Find what makes your taste buds rejoice and treat yourself often.
9. Dance a little when alone in an elevator. Grin and nod politely when the doors open to someone waiting to get on.
10. Take time for yourself everyday. Whether its a cup of tea in the morning or taking yourself out to a meal amid the hustle and bustle of others, relish in your own company. Learn to befriend yourself.
11. Get lost. Gain a newfound sense of home when you find your way back.
12. Talk to someone new. Recognize that their story is beautiful and be inspired. Think of your encounter when you start to feel like you may have done it all. Go out and talk to more people.
13. Create something. A song, story, an image, something that reminds you of who you are. Notice that it’s rewarding. Do it often.
14. Make time for people that matter to you. Treat an old friend to drinks, share favorite stories and realize that a lot has changed. Appreciate that even though things are different, you both still get along so well.
15. Fall in love. Try to stay in love. Fight for each other, not with each other.
16. Listen to music. In concert halls, at home, while walking, before you fall asleep. Find songs that shake you and make you wonder how someone knew just what you needed to hear.
17. Laugh until you cry. Make someone else do the same.
18. Share what you have. If you think you have nothing to give, share an idea, a memory, maybe your life.
19. Celebrate the things you used to take for granted. Finally understand what people meant when they babbled off “the best things in life are free.”
20. Face one of your fears. Don’t look away until you’ve mastered it. You’re freer now.
Image Source: Dara Scully